Information on where and how to Donate Hair
Donating you hair is the most inexpensive way to give to charity and help someone in need. Below are 4 places you can donate your hair and their guidelines.
Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis. We meet a unique need for children by using donated hair to create the highest quality hair prosthetics. Most of the children helped by Locks of Love have lost their hair due to a medical condition called alopecia areata, which has no known cause or cure. The prostheses we provide help to restore their self-esteem and their confidence, enabling them to face the world and their peers.
Guidelines to donate hair to Locks of Love:
- Hair that is colored or permed is acceptable.
- Hair cut years ago is usable if it has been stored in a ponytail or braid.
- Hair that has been bleached (usually this refers to highlighted hair) is not usable. If unsure, ask your stylist. We are not able to accept bleached hair due to a chemical reaction that occurs during the manufacturing process. **If the hair was bleached years ago and has completely grown out it is fine to donate.
- Hair that is swept off of the floor is not usable because it is not bundled in a ponytail or braid.
- Hair that is shaved off and not in a ponytail or braid is not usable. If shaving your head, first divide hair into multiple ponytails to cut off.
- We cannot accept dreadlocks. Our manufacturer is not able to use them in our children’s hairpieces. We also cannot accept wigs, falls, hair extensions or synthetic hair.
- Layered hair is acceptable if the longest layer is 10 inches.
- Layered hair may be divided into multiple ponytails.
- Curly hair may be pulled straight to measure the minimum 10 inches.
- 10 inches measured tip to tip is the minimum length needed for a hairpiece.
Wigs for Kids takes hair donations and uses the hair to make wigs and partials for children with any type of medical hair loss.
The donated hair is sorted and blended and then made into small cap wigs for children under 12. These are made available free of charge to any Canadian child that needs it. Most of the children come to us through referrals from hospitals. We have some wigs that are here but are also able to make special custom orders for children that need it and are able to wait for a couple of months for them to be made.
Guidelines to donate hair to Wigs for Kids:
- Hair must be clean and dry and must be in a braid or ponytail before it is cut.
- 10 inches measured tip to tip is the minimum length needed, layered hair is acceptable if the longest layer is 10 inches
- When donating hair by shaving hair off be sure to divide the sections of hair into braids or pony tails before it is cut off
- We accept hair that has been dyed or colored
- We accept grey hair, 10 inches and longer and even hair that had been cut years ago and stored in either a braid or ponytail
- Hair swept off the floor is not usable
- We cannot accept hair that had a perm, been bleached or dreadlocks
- Place hair in a clear plastic bag, and then place in an envelope for mailing
Pantene Beautiful Lengths – For women battling cancer, the appearance of strong, healthy hair is very important. Pantene Beautiful Lengths is a program that helps women feel like themselves again with free, real-hair wigs. So when you donate 8 inches of hair or $8 dollars to the cause, you’re helping to make sure that happens.
For Guidelines to donating your hair to Pantene Beautiful Lengths click HERE.
A Child’s Voice Foundation: Angel Hair for Kids – a national not-for-profit organization dedicated to creating and managing programs that provide tangible help and will make a real difference in the lives of financially disadvantaged children in Canada.
Guidelines to donating hair to A Child’s Voice Foundation: Angel Hair for Kids:
- The minimal hair donation length is 12 inches measured tip to tip;
- Hair can be placed in a braid or ponytail;
- Tightly secure the braid or ponytail using rubber bands or hair elastics;
- No permed, bleached, dyed, or treated hair is acceptable;
- Cut above the rubber band or hair elastic, not below;
- Slightly grey hair is acceptable.
- Please ensure hair is fully dry when cut. Wet hair cannot be used.
- Hair cut years ago is usable if it has been stored in a ponytail or braid;
- Curly hair may be pulled straight to measure the minimum 12 inches;
- Hair swept off the floor is not useable;
- Hair that is shaved off and is not in a ponytail or braid is not usable. Please divide your hair into multiple ponytails and cut each one off before continuing to shave; and
- Dreadlocks, wigs, falls, hair extensions, or synthetic hair is not acceptable.
For more information on where and how to donate your hair contact our Brampton Hair Salons – Hollywood Hair Design II.
Leave a Reply