Our mind and body are telling us “Take a Hike” – Hiking Health Benefits
The benefits of hiking are both physical and mental and as most of us complain about not having enough time to do so, our body and mind are telling us to “Take a Hike!“
Not just any hike …. Although an urban hike/walk may have it’s benefits, the business and noise pollution can sometimes add to our stress. Research shows that nature hikes are more beneficial to our brain than urban ones.
Physical benefits of hiking:
- Improves and strengthens your muscles
- Burns about 400 calories an hour and helps with weight loss
- Improves your balance
- Lowers risk of heart disease & strokes
- Improves your blood pressure
- Prevents and controls diabetes
Mental benefits of hiking:
- Reduces stress and depression
- Better quality of sleep
- It is mood boosting
- Sense of accomplishment
- Positive emotions
Hiking is also a great social activity, while enjoying the outdoors and meeting new people.
Don’t know where to start? The internet is full of hiking groups/clubs … Have a browse!
- Take a HIKE Caledon Ladies Hiking and Meet-Up Group
- Niagara Bruce Trail Club Hikes
- Iroquoia Bruce Trail Club Hikes
- Toronto Bruce Trail Club Hikes
- Dufferin Hi-Land Bruce Trail Club
- Caledon Bruce Trail Club Hikes
- Blue Mountains Bruce Trail Club
- Sydenham Bruce Trail Club Hikes
- Beaver Valley Bruce Trail Club Hikes
- Peninsula Bruce Trail Club Hikes
- Hiking Rules, Tips and Etiquette
Below are a couple of great articles on hiking and health.