Alcohol causes tooth damage!
When drinking alcohol your mouth is exposed to increased levels of sugars and acids which can be damaging to your teeth. Excessive drinking may lead to vomiting which may lead to tooth erosion.
Here are some simple steps to prevent damage to your teeth after alcohol consumption.
- Be sure to not over do it and when possible drink alcohol through a straw, as it will direct the alcohol to the back of the mouth staying away from the teeth.
- Always drink water between and after alcoholic beverages.
- Avoid drinks mixed with fruit juice.
- Wait at least an hour before brushing your teeth after alcohol consumption.
- And always use a soft bristle toothbrush.
These simple steps can help in protecting your teeth and your smile!
It is also important to know that according to the Canadian Cancer Society, the risk of developing oral cancer increases with the amount of alcohol consumed. Drinking alcohol is the second major risk factor for developing oral cancer.
Dr. Elizabeth Dimovski and Associates – We Protect Your Smile!
Dentists in Brampton Ontario